Tomato & Anchovy Gratin
|Recipe Supplied by: Annette Yates & Caroline Young|
Serves: 0 People
4 large fresh bread slices
50g can anchovy fillets
675g ripe tomatoes
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Remove any hard crusts, cut the bread into large cubes
and put into the processor or blender. Add the anchovies
and their oil. Buzz to make coarse crumbs.
- Cover the tomatoes with boiling water and leave to
- Put the onion and oil into a casserole, cover and cook
on HIGH for about 5 min, stirring once, until soft. Stir
in the sage.
- Preheat the oven to 200°.
- Drain the tomatoes and remove their skins (they will
have split and should slip off easily). Cut into slices
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the flavoured crumbs in the
base of a lightly greased, shallow ovenproof dish. Add
a layer of onion, then a layer of tomatoes, seasoning
with salt, pepper and a small sprinkling of sugar. Repeat
the layers, finishing with the crumbs.
- Put into the hot oven and cook on 200°C+MEDIUM
for about 20 min until golden brown.
Comments, Questions and Queries can be addressed here: Contact Us